Posted on 6th November 2023 by Harry
Joey Zwillinger is the Co-Founder & CEO @ Allbirds, the company behind the world’s most comfortable shoe. In Nov 2021, Joey took the company public and the stock soared to an all-time high of $4BN, today the company has a market cap of $137M. Prior to Allbirds, Joey spent six years at biotechnology firm, Terravia, leading its renewable chemical business, developing and selling high-performance algae-based chemicals into various industries such as CPG, personal care, and industrials.
In Today’s Episode with Joey Zwillinger We Discuss:
- The Founding Moment:
- How did Joey’s wife’s friendship lead to the co-founding of Allbirds?
- What does Joey know now that he wishes he had known at the founding moment?
- What does Joey believe he is running away from? What is he running towards?
2. Public Market Performance Review:
- Why has Allbirds lost 97% of it’s value since going public? What mistakes were made?
- Why has revenue declined for the first time this year?
- What strategic investments have Allbirds pulled back on or paused entirely?
- When will Allbirds be profitable?
3. The Competition:
- How do Allbirds compete and catch up with On and Hoka?
- What strategic mistakes did Allbirds make in COVID that allowed others to take the crown?
- Was the movement into running and athletics a mistake for Allbirds?
4. Joey Zwillinger: The Leader and Person:
- Did Joey take secondaries out during the Allbirds journey?
- How does Joey reflect on his own relationship to money?
- How has Joey dealt with the last 12 months personally? How does he manage the stress effectively?