Posted on 16th August 2023 by Harry
Brian Balfour is the Founder and CEO of Reforge. Previously, he was the VP of Growth @ HubSpot. Prior to HubSpot, he was an EIR @ Trinity Ventures and founder of Boundless Learning and Viximo. He advises companies including Blue Bottle Coffee, Gametime, Lumoid, GrabCAD, and Help Scout on growth and customer acquisition.
In Today’s Episode with Brian Balfour We Discuss:
1. Entry into Growth and Lessons from Hubspot:
- How did Brian make his entry into the world of growth?
- What does Brian know now about growth that he wishes he had known when he started in growth?
- What are 1-2 of his single biggest takeaways from his time at Hubspot that impacted his mindset?
2. The Foundations:
- What is growth? What is it not?
- What does Brian mean when he says “all growth can be boiled down to 4 things”?
- When is the right time to bring in your first growth person?
- Should the first growth person be senior or junior?
- Should the growth team be standalone or sit within an existing function?
3. The Importance of Product Channel Fit:
- What is product channel fit? How should founders approach it?
- How do you know when you have it?
- What are the single biggest mistakes founders make with regards to PCF?
4. Next Comes Channel Model Fit:
- What is channel model fit? How should founders approach it?
- What are clear indicators that you have or do not have channel model fit?
- What are the biggest mistakes founders make with CMF?
5. Finally, Model Market Fit:
- What is model market fit? How should founders approach it?
- What are clear indicators that you have or do not have model market fit?
- What are the biggest mistakes founders make with MMF?
6. Brian Balfour: AMA:
- Why is product market fit not enough?
- What does Brian mean when he says “revenue does not create usage”?
- What are the biggest dangers of mixing customers and users?
- What do Hubspot do better than anyone else to know when an existing product/strategy is dying?
- Is it always better to diversify marketing channels?